Friday, March 16, 2012

Beginning a new adventure... Will you join me?


Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

I am humbled to share with you an exciting development in my life.  I have accepted a one-year missionary assignment to Hong Kong with the Young Adult Service Corps (YASC) through the Episcopal Church. I will be serving with an organization called Mission For Migrant Workers. 

The Mission for Migrant Workers is an ecumenical organization that provides assistance to migrant workers who are in distress. Many domestic helpers in Hong Kong have left their native countries to earn money to send home to support their families. Frequently, these women are abused and mistreated by their employers. The Mission for Migrant Workers is committed to helping migrant workers help themselves. Part of that process involves a transitional women’s shelter where I will spend much of my time.

I am ecstatic about this opportunity. God has granted me a peace about this decision that is unprecedented in my life. I truly believe God has been preparing me for this assignment through the events in my life thus far. I am blessed to be a part of an amazing, supportive community and I know I can’t embark on this adventure alone. I am writing to you today to ask that you participate in this journey with me. First and foremost, I need your prayers. I know that this year abroad is about so much more than me. Will you please pray with me that I would be a servant to God’s redemptive plan in the lives of the migrant workers? Will you please pray that God’s love and reconciliation will surround the migrant workers who are in crisis? Second, will you prayerfully consider financially supporting me in this mission? The average cost of sending one YASC volunteer overseas is $22,500. That covers a round trip ticket to Hong Kong, housing and a monthly stipend, health insurance, visas, orientation and debriefing, evacuation insurance, in-country language learning, and a $1000 repatriation allowance when I return. The good news is that the Episcopal Church covers over half of that amount. So that means I need to raise $10,000 between now and July in order to go to Hong Kong. Your tax-deductible gift will make a tremendous difference. Please contact me at graceaflint@gmail.com if you are interested in making a donation.

Honestly, I am overwhelmed by God’s goodness and provision of a plan for my life. A few years ago, I would have laughed if someone had told me I’d be living in Hong Kong for a year! Now, I am confident that God’s plans are so much bigger than I can comprehend, even when painful and confusing events occur. I know how important prayer support is. Your prayers have kept me afloat through some terribly tumultuous times. Please continue to keep me in your prayers as I continue to seek God’s will in my life. 

Blessings to you,
Grace Flint

1 comment:

  1. Dearest Grace,
    Bobby and I pray for you together on a nightly basis. He opened your blogspot once to see if he could read you for US while I was doing homework. He got frustrated as he typed a message to you and couldn't get it to post. I think and pray for you so often. Since I have made the connection, you can expect me to be on your trail.
    Que Dieu te benisse, Susan

    ReplyDelete