Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Blessing of a Shelter, a Refuge, and a Home


"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me." --Matthew 25:35-36



I recently attended the blessing, reopening, and anniversary celebration of the main Bethune House shelter.

There are many stories I could tell about the gathering, about the residents, about the reopened shelter itself, but I feel that being too specific might do a disservice to the general spirit of the place and the people who work so tirelessly for the rights and protection of domestic helpers.

Instead, I will share some pictures from the event and leave you with part of a prayer from the blessing of the reopened Bethune House shelter.

Residents and volunteers preparing food in the shelter kitchen prior to the celebration

A few of the current residents

Spending time in the common area before the festivities commenced

Everyone gathering outside as the blessing began


Holy God whose name is not honored where the needy are not served, and the powerless continue to be treated with contempt: may we embrace our neighbor with the same tenderness we ourselves require so your justice may be fulfilled in love. Bless and prosper Bethune House…that it may continue its ministry without fail: a shelter, a refuge, our home away from home.



No comments:

Post a Comment