Thursday, October 4, 2012

Thursday Afternoons at the Shelter


In my life, cookie making is a sacred event. So you can imagine my excitement when I was asked to give a baking lesson last week at the shelter.


There's not a lot in life that a warm chocolate chip cookie can't fix, at least for a few seconds while it melts in your mouth.


I was equally delighted when I was approached about another lesson this week.


While waiting for the banana bread to bake, we talked about favorite foods from different regions.


I'm under no illusions that I'm actually teaching anything; more accurately, I'm learning from the wealth of experience and life lessons these women have to teach me. I'm extremely grateful for the opportunity to know them and share a little of their lives, if only for a few hours while we swap stories of home.

1 comment:

  1. My dearest Grace,
    How wonderful to see you in the midst of love, laughter and life's lessons. I went back to the beginning of your blog and have caught up with you. You are a gifted writer. I especially loved the story of your "mundane visit to the grocery store." Au contraire, mon amie, the self-reflection of searching and finding blessed my heart. How we cower at the unknown events and gifts of our gracious God instead of embracing them coming from His beautiful nail-scarred hands. May you embrace daily (and share with us) these back road experiences of your journey.
    Strength and stamina to you-your light (life for Christ) is shining! Matthew 5:16
    Susan

    ReplyDelete